Wednesday 19 August 2015

Being Happy and Staying Happy

We all need a kick-start at times. Life isn't always easy and everyday isn't a breeze and sometimes we need a helping hand to pull ourselves out of a mood dip and to get ourselves back on the right track.

For the last two weeks I've been ill, run-down, working practically everyday, looking after my son on the days I'm not working, putting a huge amount of pressure on myself for not having the time to complete jobs that I should in normal circumstances have time to do - domestic and professional - and to be honest; I have felt as though I couldn't see a way forward.

There was so much that I wanted to do and so much that I couldn't; but I realise now that I had been extraordinarily hard on myself at being unable to complete these tasks.

I am in general, a pretty positive person. I see 'can-do' solutions to solve difficult problems, put a light-hearted spin on heavy situations and try to see the good in people even if others can't - I write about positivity and about inviting positive choices into our lives through implementing healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. So you would think that I would be able to find it easy to put my own guidance into practice and live my life by these rules?

With hindsight; this week was cathartic. I had, let's call it an 'epiphany' - and decided that I needed to break the self destructive cycle which was taking over my thoughts and actions. By inviting a positive and rational process into my thoughts and by eradicating all of the negative 'can't do' 'can't cope' attitudes and obstacles that seemed to pile up in front of me I began to move forward. The clouds began to lift as did the huge weight resting on my shoulders and the week which stretched ahead didn't seem too bad - or daunting - after all.

5 Simple Tips for Lifting Your Mood - 'Let's reach those goals!'
  1. Go easy on yourself. Be realistic and take the pressure off. Lengthen a deadline and make things easier!
  2. Create a diversion and help someone else. I have never walked away from a charitable act feeling worse. If we can provide assistance to others we are capable of helping ourselves. 
  3. Take small steps. Things take time. Break down a task by completing parts of it in bite size pieces. Write down your goals with 'mini' goals in between. As you work your way through the list and tick off each completed task; things will become more manageable. 
  4. Repeat your mantras. Seems ridiculous; but by creating positive thoughts you will spur on positive actions; self-belief is essential to get to where you want to be - create a mantra to keep you going. It be anything from 'I can do this' to 'today will be a good day'. It really works to pick-you-up when feeling low!
  5. Celebrate your achievements. We have all achieved things in our lives which we are proud of no matter how small. Write them down to remind yourself that you have made yourself and others proud. Focus on the good things, people and experiences of your life and build a 'can-do' mindset to reach your goals and overcome those mood dips!

No comments:

Post a Comment